Veggie Egg White Muffins w/ Basil
Iiiiits Wednesday! What the fork is up, friends? Today I'm sharing with you an easy, prep friendly breakfast.....Egg Muffins!
You've probably seen these before, or have had them. I mean they are allll over Pinterest and should be on every persons "breakfast meal prep" list in my opinion. If you haven't had egg muffins....make these!
There are several great things about egg muffs. For one, they're a great breakfast to prep for a few days at a time. Perfect for quick/hurried mornings. Easy to make, get the kids involved! They'd work perfect in ziplock baggies to put in lunches.
Also, If you have leftover veggies that need to be used up (me every week), this is the perfect recipe! Throw some bacon bits in there or potato chunks for a more filling bite. These are easily modifiable to suite your pallete! AND, make an awesome midday snack. I'll grab a couple, whip up some salsa and guac...Mmmm! Lastly, these have bomb macros.
I'll take 6. Yes please.
I have a couple of important tips and tricks for you that make a world of difference.
1. A non stick muffin tin. AND non stick spray.
2. Blend your egg white/egg mixture in the blender.
3. Don't overcrowd the pan with veggies.
Ready for the recipe?
12 egg whites + 3 whole eggs
3 TBSP plain non fat Greek yogurt (I prefer Chobani or Fage)
1/2 cup of chopped bell peppers (~75grams)
1/2 cup of diced mushrooms (~75g)1/3 cup or 1/2 of a medium yellow onion, diced
2 cups of fresh spinach leaves, chopped finely
10-15 fresh basil leaves depending on size, about 2 TBSP chopped basil
70g lite shredded mozzarella cheese (I love Trader Joes)
Salt and pepper
Non stick spray
1 . Preheat your oven to 350.
2. Chop up all vegetables/meats into a fine dice. Mix together in a bowl.
3. Heavily spray your muffin tin with coconut or canola spray. Get allll up in there.
4. Fill HALF of each tin with veggie mixture. Do NOT overload the tins, you'll end up with a muffin that falls apart.
5. In a separate bowl, crack in 12 egg whites and 3 whole eggs. Dash of salt and pepper. (I do this first in a bowl just in case shells fall in). Transfer to blender and blend on high for 10-15 seconds. I let this blend go a little too long and got some wanna be marange foam on the top, it worked just fine but you don't want that haha)
6. Whisk in Greek yogurt with a fork. Maybe like 20 total whisk circles...I like whisking in the yogurt instead of blending because you keep small clumps in the egg mix. When you bake it, you end up getting little surprises of yogurt in the muffin....you'll see.
7. Slowly pour the egg mixture into the muffin tins almost to the top.
8. Top with a little mozzarella cheese on each one. Use up all of the 70g!
9. Bake for 15-17 minutes. Let them coooool. Spoon out and enjoy!