Creamy Mushroom Quinoa Risotto
Whats up! Happy Wednesday everyone. I have an awesome recipe for you today!
Quinoa is one of the BEST foods for you. Its been hype for a while now, for a good reason, and will always be a staple in my pantry. However, I really haven't experimented a lot with quinoa in other forms besides boiled in water and eaten as a side, in salads, tossed with eggs and scrambles, etc. I've never actually transformed the quinoa on its own....
So, recently I traveled to Peru where quinoa is an extreme staple there. I had the best quinoa I'll ever have. I'm convinced. Curried quinoa, quinoa with cream, quinoa underneath meats with spices that were insanely delicious together, quinoa with other vegetable sauces, quinoa galore! The whole experience really opened my mind up to the super grain and inspired me to make my own version that was more than just a bland side.
I went the safe route and used familiar flavors to come up with this dish. This quinoa risotto is creamy, tangy (if you add the goat cheese), savory, and rich. It turned out SO good! A note: I intended to make this dish sans goat cheese. It tastes great without it if you are vegan or just don't like goat cheese. But, when I opened the fridge to grab the parsley, it caught my eye and turned the quinoa up a notchhhhh :) a.k.a, it's delish.
This quinoa risotto would be amazing underneath a steak or pork chop, with poached eggs, or marinated chicken, kale or spinach folded in for some greenery. I can't wait to make more!
Let's get started on the recipe!
1 T grape seed oil (or any high heat oil)
1 T fresh pressed garlic1 cup finely diced yellow onion, vidalia onion, or scallion
1 cup organic quinoa
3/4 cup full fat coconut milk
2-3 cups chicken stock or veggie stock10oz sliced baby portobello mushrooms
1/2 tsp salt
1 /4 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1 stick fresh rosemary
2oz creamy, quality goat cheeseparsley for garnish
1. Heat your oil in a pot on medium high heat. I would use a ceramic pot here if you have it. Once the pan is hot, add in onions and garlic. Stir for 3 minutes or until the onions become opaque and your house reeks of garlic!!!
2. Add in quinoa. Stir for another 3 minutes.
3. Add in HALF of the coconut milk. Stir stir stir until the milk is absorbed.
4. From here, we will start adding the broth 1/4 cup at a time. This process if how a "risotto" is made, how it becomes so creamy. It's not one you can walk away from the strove. So, be prepared to stay put!
5. Add in the broth, 1/4 cup at a time, until each batch dissolves into the quinoa. Once you've got the first cup of broth in, toss in the spices. Then add the other half of the coconut milk. Let the milk soak up, then continue with the broth until the quinoa is cooked through. (About 30 minutes). Keep in mind the heat is still high, you have to continuously stir or else your quinoa will burn. You'll know the quinoa is done when it transforms from its tiny beaded seed into a fluffier more trranslucent one!
6. Now let's add the mushrooms. All you need to do to prepare these I sautée them in another pan with a touch of oil. Or roast them. Do whatever you like. They just need to be ready to fold in!
7. Taste your dish, add more spices if you like! This is ready to serve. If you want an even more flavorful risotto, add the goat cheese while it's still hot in the pan. It takes the creaminess to a new level!!!
Hope you guys enjoy!